Monday, May 17, 2010

Climbing higher than I have before

On May 16 I climbed the highest peak and the longest ascent I have done. All in 5 hours. The specs: Rocky Peak Ridge, 4,390 foot peak, 3,100 ascent and 10.8 mile round trip. The peak is bald so the promise of an excellent view was heavy on our minds as you can see:
Rocky Peak Ridge is part of a range which tops with the appropriately named Giant Mountain. This picture is sighted out over the ridge with Giant Mountain looming in the background. If you look closely you can see the boulder. We never got to it but it looked about 15 feet tall if not more. Huge.
Clear skies gave us an incredible view, I am not even sure how far we could even see.
It was an amazing hike. We made amazing time and had a great time. Sal is sleeping upstairs as I type this still recovering from it.

And this was on the side of the road on our way home. The scale: 290 feet. The Adirondacks are amazing.

No comments: