Friday, February 18, 2011

12-5-10 Hurrican Mountain

Again this is a place we have climbed before but revisiting it in the winter was a very different experience.
Sal and I, ready to head out, clothed in my wool viking tunic that I designed and sewed. It is based on a vintage design and I have used it consistently for the entire winter as my primary outer garment and it is brilliant.
Crazy icicles and moss. What a color combo.
And stunning ice on the trees.
This did not reflect the actual mood of the trip. For reasons I don't remember we did not document the fact that the whole steep trail was a literal waterfall of ice. My crampons served me brilliantly but sadly Heather lacked such devices and we turned around about a quarter of a mile from the top because we could not safely go on. One of the hardest hikes we have done.

No comments: