Monday, September 5, 2011

Scabbard Making

After a fair bit of research at http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/ I finally went and bought a sharp quality steel norman/viking sword. I decided that I would redo the grip and scabbard to bring it up to a proper quality. First a couple of documents that were useful about how to tie leather without riveting it.

I wanted to be able to easily change the angle and or remove the belt when I wanted to just carry the scabbard. Traditionally most swords were worn over the shoulder. Viking swords often had a frog riveted to their scabbards which the belt would be secured. I decided an oak thor's hammer would work.
So this is the sword I bought at http://www.kultofathena.com/:
It is a Hanwei Tinker Norman Sword http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SH2426&name=Hanwei+Tinker+Norman+Sword+-+Sharp The blade is forged in 5160 high carbon steel and marquenched to HRc50-52, allowing superior edge retention. The grip is wood-cored and leather-covered over a cord wrap. Includes a wood scabbard with leather wrap and hanging rings.

I started with Popular wood and carved the inside out to the shape of the blade using a chisel and a dremel.  It wasn't the easiest thing in the world, and to get it to hold the blade but still release it when pulled was a nightmare. What you see above is the wood core with leather laces glued to make the ridges in the scabbard.This is testing the frog I had carved before putting the leather on.
After the leather testing fit with the belt attached.

Comparison between old and new.



The leather would stretch so I would pull of the lighter pieces, tighten them and slid it back on.  That is the advantage of clever design.  The seam down the back is a simple whip stitch.  Remember to work with the leather wet, once it dries it will shrink and make it much harder to get a nice finish.

I also redid the handle as well with the same leather.  Turned out great.  If you are working on this kind of project please feel free to post your questions to the comment section and I will try to get back to them,

No comments: