Tuesday, September 24, 2013

9-17-13 Trying to Roll

I can't stop kayaking.  This time I went out with Craig in Burlington Harbor/North Beach to see what it is like to try to roll my new boat.
I have never had a sprayskirt before.  Sure it is nice to throw your legs over the edge as you paddle but with this I can actually get a lot better as a kayaker.
Craig got out, with his wetsuite underneath, so I could practice rolling and he would pull me up if I got stuck.  I did.  Get stuck.  Every one of the 12 times I tried.  He then got in my boat and tried to remember from his whitewater kayaking days but did not succeed.  The water was cool it was a truly awesome challenge to see if we could figure it out.  At no point did I feel panic and despite not getting it I am excited to go back and try again.  Oh and totally cleaned out my sinuses.
What then happened was we kayaked out to the middle of the lake for the most amazing sunset and moon rise I have seen for a while.
The moon was full, these pictures don't really capture it.  The colors were so vibrant and we sat, the only boats outside of the Spirit of Ethan Allen, watching the night fall.
Finally when a Coast Guard boat said we had to going in because we did not have a light we retired.  It was only when I got home did I realize how properly tiring that whole time was.  I want more though...

No comments: