Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

When I was a freshman in college I saw the Election of Bush. In Junior Year I saw 9/11 and in that second saw much of the future that sadly became true. I left college with trepidation and distrust in my heart. In the eight years that followed my graduation I saw government corrupt itself and refuse to honor congressional s0penaes, a war in Iraq launched on false terms with no end in site, a war in Afghanistan launched on real terms never brought to conclusion, federal debt skyrocket, my own income shrink and difficulty in finding a full-time job with benefits, and finally in the last month the collapse of the entire economy with a disastrous bailout package that puts our debt at record levels to bail out companies that plaid the game poorly. And yet today I feel optimistic for the first time. It is a scary kind of unsettling feeling. We are not quit comfortable with each other yet. But I think I am going to grow to like it.

Peace. Truly.

No comments: