Monday, March 9, 2009

And this would be Sunday...

Okay, so onto Sunday. After a continental breakfast at the hotel (I like healthy yogurt covered with whipped cream apparently) we met up again with my Uncle and Aunt to take to the skies. By that I mean the Tramway that is right outside of Palm Spring. It rises over 6,500 feet and one hell of a technical feat. It takes about 15 minutes but it was quite a ride. There are towers along the way to keep that life-saving cable off the ground. Each time you would go over the hump at the tower the tram would sway in an excitingly disturbing and life threatening way towards the rock wall. As you can see my Uncle is enthralled.
It is a really amazing ride and at the top the view is stunning. This is the gang looking for nude sunbathers below of course.What neither my sister nor I had considered that the snow on the top was because of cold, not an artificial snow machine blowing ripped plastic. We were dressed for warmer climates, i.e. shorts, no jackets, but it was 38 degrees up there and that snow you see behind is about a foot deep. Still, my Eastern blood had not entirely thawed and I was fine. This panoramic does not due justice to the distance or height, it was truly stunning.
After that we went to see why my relatives were in Palm Springs in the first place (they live in Colorado): the BNP Paribus Open. I am not a tennis follower but I could see by the grounds it was a damn big event. We watched one of the qualifier matches as my Uncle described the insanely complicated scoring. Gail won so a huzzah for her. The real event starts tomorrow though and they are here for the week to watch the action.

After parting ways we drove back to the coast. Being back is nice, some sleep and a slow day tomorrow will be even better.

No comments: