Friday, March 6, 2009

California, the Prodigal Son Returns


So there is this wonderful device called a laptop that allows me to entertain myself when at the Pittsburgh Airport two hours before my flight. Coupled with the free wifi and the glory of hulu I can watch TV to my heart's delight.

This is all for naught though when those who announce gate changes and boarding feel a need to exceed the decibels of a jet actually taking off with the loudspeaker volume and take to reading War and Peace for it's entire length just to make a point. My headphones can only do so much.

I've been sitting here for about three hours with occasional walking breaks for my sanity. I have a startling view of the massive ticket counter line. Lines are such a strange thing at airports. There is a line at the ticket counter at my gate and it makes me wonder if I am missing something important, like if I don't join that line it means that I will have to ride the wing to the next stop. Of course it is unfounded, my eticket confidently announces itself as a “boarding pass” but really, why trust a piece of paper? It is as likely to lie as the next inanimate object.

I am ready to get on with it though. I decided no food for my uneasy stomach until Dallas, make it really WANT it. If I let it run amok now there will be no telling what will happen next, demands for calamari and pears dissolved in vinegar?

After the two flights I will say that the pilot in the first one was amazing to land in that kind of wind and it is remarkable to note how conversation can be silenced when the person sitting next to you pulls out a laptop whose boot up screen had the Homeland Security logo with a secure log in. Given my mind silence was the better of the options available.

Arriving in Santa Anna was wonderful and stepping into 68 degrees, sun and a slight breeze was, dare I say, orgasmic. Following it with a walk down to the beach with my sister, Roxy in tow to see the sun set over the ocean was so refreshing. To then follow that with one of the best sushi I have had since leaving at Gen Kai was the final topping that precipitate my collapse into sleep at 10:30 once we got home.

No comments: