Sunday, July 1, 2012

The newest Kayak, "Phoenix Reborn" or maybe something else

I had started this one about a year ago.  The frame sat out in the winter and finally I decided to make it complete with a new skin. $43 later and a bolt of ripstop nylon under my arm I was on my way.  I soaked it in a bucket of water to expand it so it would shrink in the heat after I had sown it.
 It took one long night to get to this point, including sitting outside in the bugs with a headlamp until around midnight.  The next day during my lunch break I applied the first coats of polyurethane.  There were a couple of places where the extremely hot day had shrunk the nylon to the point of tiny rips appearing, but that is what the polyurethane is for.
 I have always loves how the ribs show through a nylon skin.
 This is with a cockpit rim made from a plastic garden edging.  Since it wasn't long enough it was two pieces that I had to wire together with a piece of wood and it hinged in an odd but good way.
 After an overnight backpacking trip I finally got to launch her.  This is with the green land paddle I use.
 I paddles some of the bay and pulled up on a beach further along to assess how everything was holding up.  Basically for a 12'6" boat with a narrow 22" beam it handled pretty damn well.  Like the previous kay from whom I had stolen ribs it was tipsy but didn't want to flip me and the waves always tried to turn me into them, which is good.  If I am not paying attention it will prevent getting broadsided.  And when the waves were following it kinda surfed which I need to explore more.  I am looking forward to learning this boat and its character.
The mini bottle of Maker's Mark which I used to christen it.  I am very happy with it overall.  I need to paint a cool design on it and add a couple of rub rails and some more polyurethane to protect it but I think I will have a lot of fun in it.  No fishing though, a solid hook on a powerful fish could flip me in this.

No comments: