Saturday, September 1, 2012

8-28-12 Racing the Sun on Snake Mountain

I have done Snake Mountain multiple times, but starting at 6 was a new challenge, with my trail running shoes on we set out up the short incline.
 I know a trail that I like that is fairly empty on busy days but this day no one was around pretty much at all.
 At the top is a concrete pad that used to be a foundation with some of the better views of New York.  And this is a wildlife management area and it is almost hunting season so bright colors required just to be safe.
 Sal got a makeshift bandanna.
 I found a secondary trail that ran on the edge of the cliffs with some cool cedar trees.  I was timing it to be back at the pad at sunset so I went as far as I could and ran it back to the best view point.
Not colorful like some but still epic to watch.  I didn't wait for the dark to head down, running downhill in a tight rocky trail as dusk removes all the contrast that prevents death while running was interesting and honestly a lot of fun.  There were a couple of genuine zen moments.

No comments: