Wednesday, October 16, 2013

9-29-13 VAST network, then bushwacking

With the weather nice and the leaves turning, my usual haunts are quite busy.  So I bushwacked somewhere new.
I started off on the snowmobile trails around the base of Little River, but soon found an unmarked overgrown road wandering into the woods, not on any of my maps.  So off I went.
A nice little stream.
This was the foundation for a pump house.  A fixer upper.
Another empty foundation.
At this point I found all the building from the CCC teams that built the Waterbury Dam.  This is all from around 1939.
Sal was determined to be in all my shots if he could help it.
Steps to what must have been a bunk house.
I still don't make complete sense of the engravings.  After the V it had "CCC" but before?
Maybe a well?  It was so small I can't imagine another use.
These plants seems quite content growing on the mantle.
Another chimney.  I saw at least 4 in my wanderings.
This is right near where I park.  There is a little dam (there used to be a zip line but that was finally taken down).
It wanders down into this steep canyon with precarious footing.  I actually sat to take this shot.  As I was heading out I was talking to two older gentlemen and they said a hydro worker had actually drowned right there last year.  Caution justified.

I do have my outdoor habits, occasionally it is good to break them and explore new places.  It was a good day for adventured.

No comments: