Tuesday, September 8, 2009

From Bennington to Burlington

This post is only about a week overdue but here it is with typos and grammatic inconsitencies. Exactly nine days ago I moved up to Burlington Vermont. For those who don't know where it is imagine a medium size town or a small city (but let's be honest, it is a town) located on the shore of Lake Champlain with the Adirondacks on the far shore and the Green Mountains to the East. It is a stunning location. So I loaded up my parent's car with my stuff, a kayak and two bicycles for the trip.
It isn't as loaded down as you would think, and certainly a little less than my move to Bennington. The drive was uneventful thanks to my parents and once Heather got in we unloaded. Within minutes it looked like what you see below.
Actually that is a complete lie, it took many days to turn it into the picture above. It is a beautiful place and as per the tradition of two poor bastards the sofabed is off the side of the road. Perfectly clean for those who come to visit and stay with us, I swear. I steam cleaned it on my hands and knees.
This is the view out our back porch. In the back yard you can see my kayak, Heather's kayak and our landlords canoe. Sitting here with candles lit enjoying a meal or drinking a good beer bring a remarkable feeling similiar to being on vacation in some amazing cabin in the middle of nowhere instead of, oh yeah, where I live.
This is all the fun stuff, all our hiking, camping, snowshoeing gear. Not pictured are the two pair of cross county skiis that hopefully will see good use this winter and kayak paddles. I am hoping to put my kayak in the water soon and I need to start working on the frame for the second one. I want it to be a solid build so I can take it across Lake Champlain and battle the Loc Ness creature that lives in the 400 feet deep underwater canyons.

No comments: