Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A State Fair, A'yup

Since I am no longer a city dweller in the Pittsburgh sense my first real weekend in Burlington also involved going to the Champlain State Fair in Essex. Heather had free tickets for it from work and when in Rome... It was a lot of fun, although crowded. Inside the expo center was this sand sculpture. You know when I think of Vermont, I truly just think of sand.
The sand actually brought my back to my time at the St. Regis Resort in Dana Point, CA. We had sand sculptures in the lobby for Christmas every year and more often than not I had to guard it from damage. Silly sand.
The first act we saw was a couple of crazy germans with a LOT of tigers. The cage made it hard to shoot but there is an African Lion standing on a rig under which tigers are passing. The cats all seemed incredibly mellow, almost sleepy and seemed in no rush to actually do tricks. But when they moved the grace was unsettling. Our bipedal nature does not serve us well sometimes.
Worst Adience Particiation Ever... actually a hypnotist at work.
And of course I took a picture of a boat. The Maritime Museum had this and a birch bark canoe set up there. On the wall at the far end is a map of Lake Champlain showing the depth. From that it seemed to go as deep as 450 feet in parts. At least I know where the scuba shop is located.And of course giant pumkins. They are going to hollow them out and race them on the river. Really. Too much maple syrup, it got to their brains...

No comments: