Saturday, November 12, 2011

11-12-11 Hurricane Mountain

I may have been to Hurricane Mountain more than once. Actually more times than I can count. Originally I was thinking of trying for Giant Mountain but the unfamiliar nature of the hike and the time required combined with a late start made me switch destinations. There was snow at the top. I had put on my trail running shoes, which were not enough for this. The mud was crazy too so wet shoes plus snow not ideal. Still it was nice to see snow.At the top the winds were in the 20-40 mph range, I was bundled up but I didn't dare spend too much time taking pictures because I didn't want Sal to get to cold. It was ana amazing view though.
The mountain in the distance is Whiteface, one of the few that have a ski resort on it. There were a lot of these, tons of swamp and bog. A new beaver dam flooded part of the trail and had to figure my way around to find the trail again.
Ready to rock and roll. This is my usual winter set up and as always worked really well. Even though it was in the low 40's most of the hike I didn't have the orange windbreaker on.
A parting shot. What an amazing view.

No comments: