Sunday, February 5, 2012

2-4-12 Camel's Hump Winter Summit

Camel's Hump isn't unfamiliar to me, but climbing it in winter is.  I got into the parking lot and as I pulled out my snowshoe a car that was leaving let me know that the trails were crusty enough that I wouldn't need them.  Again.  What a weird winter.
For about 2/3rds of the trail there were ski tracks.  It was impressive given the grade, I am guessing they hiked up and skied down.
 Sunlight through all sorts of snow crystals is just beautiful.  I would need a 15 megapixel camera  and a website that could show it for you to see the amazing covering of snow.
 I summited in 2 hours and 10 minutes which is damn good time, and given the crusty snow that was again without snow shoes.
 It was such a clear day I could see Mount Washing in NH and Whiteface in NY and of course Canada.  This is looking south towards Mount Abraham.
 Mount Mansfield in it's frozen glory.  I may have to hit that next week.  Maybe I can use snowshoes this time.
 I tried to take a self portrait to show all the ice on my beard but did not realize the sun was over my shoulder
Slightly better.

I made it down in 1 hour 20 minutes or so. Kinda half running, I tried full running but I could feel my quads were not up for it.  It felt great to do my first true solo winter ascent.  I left Sal at home not being sure of the conditions and given how cold he can get.


No comments: