Sunday, April 1, 2012

4-1-12 CAT trail meander

I have been up the parts of the CAT trail network many times, both when there is snow and when there isn't.  One day I decided to detour on what looked like a logging road that went off the main trial and found a really cool spot.  After a long day and feeling antsy I returned to explore both sides despite gray threatening skies.
 I followed a stream in and found a truly beautiful spot (which I will have to return to with a tent at some point). 
Smaller stream fed into the larger one, the ravine cut by the main stream was quite large and steep.
 I sat for a bit and just watched the water and pondered.  So much to ponder.
 On the other side and even larger stream had cut out smoothed basins.  When it gets to the hotter points of summer I may have to return for a dip into these waters.
 It is hard to capture with an iPhone how deep it was but I was careful around its edges for good reason.
 Further upstream it widened from what I imagine was the Irene floods.  The bank was badly cut away and on the other side was a huge landslide at least 40 feet tall.
I hiked out just as it started to rain.  Manage to run into absolutely no on, which was fine with me.

No comments: