Saturday, April 28, 2012

4-14-12 Mt. Worchester

With Such an odd winter I finally decided to go after a peak for the first time in a while.  It was an unseasonably warm day so I headed to Mount Worchester hoping it would be deserted.  I was correct, one one other person on the trail.
 At first it was pleasant, not very muddy and no snow.  I was wearing my new balance minimal running shoes  so I was glad because they certainly cannot take snow.
 I called this the throne, it is hard to see here but it makes a massive seat, perhaps for a giant.
 However, as I got higher I started to see snow.  At first it wasn't a problem but then it started to get deep.
At this point it was about 5 inches or more in places.  My shoes are well worn and deciding that given the cold snow chilling my feet and the way I was sliding all over the place it made sense to turn around.
 I was very close to the peak, maybe a half mile, probably less.  Oh well, rather not risk injury or frostbite when I am alone.  And next time wear gators to prevent snow getting down the sides of the shoes.
 One the return I saw this off the side of the trail.  Sal was interested.  On the side of it was painted "1 down, 28 to go!"
 Also someone left these glass beads hanging from a tree.  No clue.
 Sal was quit happy with the exercise.
When I got home I couldn't help myself and drove out to Shelburne Bay again to kayak for an hour or so.  I The water was so clear I could see to the bottom and I followed the shoreline looking down.  I saw a little trash but also discovered the remains of a breaker and collapsed dock as well.  

No comments: