Saturday, April 28, 2012

4-28-12 Sterling Fall Gorge

It has been a long time since I have travelled back to Sterling Fall Gorge but today, after deciding against trying for a peak, it was the logical choice.  Always quiet, lots of trails to explore and some fun running.  Again, like Mt. Worchester I wasn't expecting more than a dusting of snow and I wanted to try out my new minimalist trail shoes.  Which are meant for summer.  And this was the trail that greeted me...
 At first I thought that it was all going to be like this which was fine.  I had thrown on wool socks in case my feet got wet and if I was careful no problems.
 A trillium I believe poking out of the snow.
 These are the new shoes.  And this is where I realized that the snow was only going to get deeper.
 And it did. Around 3-6 inches for the most part.  Oddly even though my feet were getting soaked they weren't getting that cold due to the fact I was running in parts (which warms you up) and the wool socks.
 It was beautiful, muddy and snowy all at the same time.  I had a lot of fun running, a true challenge.
 Thank god I didn't have to ford this one, there was a bridge.  The streams were damn cold as I had to discover occasionally.
 Sal, intrigued by one thing or another.
 Totally classy.  Some people do this stuff and look hip.  Not me.  But I like to think I have more fun.
 A cool frozen puddle with an island.  Sal decided he needed to be in the shot.
The actual gorge part.  Since the ground was a bit slippery with snow I decided not to try to get a better shot.  It was amazing how well my new shoes gripped and that my feet didn't freeze.  A truly fun day and if my feet hadn't gotten so wet I might have continued on for longer.  Another time.

No comments: