Friday, January 11, 2013

1-11-13 Little River on Skies

I had a whole day to play in the snow and ended up debating for a while where to go.  I decided Little River on skies but originally settled for the Northern approach.  Well when I got there I discovered that the road that normally is so peaceful is in fact a open logging road in the winter.  The trails off to the side that I normal detour onto are also active, very active, snowmobile trails.  So we turned around and headed to the southern access point.  Once I got there I relished that there was almost no one there except a dog sled team doing runs. 
 It was beautiful even if the snow was not. The recent warmth made the snow grainy adn very slippery.  It stripped off my kick wax so often that by the end I had stopped and replaced the kick wax 5 times just so I wouldn't slide backwards.
 It wasn't super cold but because I knew Sal would be jumping into the deep stuff I put his coat on him. We had a blast. on the down hill parts of the trail (this is all hiking trails I was skiing) I would have to yell out to him to to run as fast as he could because otherwise I would run him down.  He only failed to do so once and I literally plowed him over and flipped him to the side because I was going so fast.  He did not do it again.
 I have to say I feel much more confident on my skies, I fell only twice, and once was on purpose so I did not go into a river.  The sun came out only sparingly and this road here was all hard packed, I had almost no control when it went downhill.
 At the end this is the dam at Little River.  The sun came out and just lit up the space.  It was peaceful.
I tried a panorama but it only sorta worked,  A good way to spend the day.

No comments: