Friday, April 19, 2013

3-16-13 Ice Climbing

Through my workplace I got a very unique opportunity to learn how to ice climb from the Mountaineering division of the Army Rangers which happen to be located in Vermont.  We spent and a day up on the ice and had a blast.  Some but not all these pictures are mine, others in the party also took a lot of great shots.
In order to get to the climb site we got a ride in the military version of a snow cat.  Very loud but so, so so cool to ride in.

Gearing up, not me but some of the soldiers that were up there with us.  There were also climbing so we all got to climb together.
All tied in and starting a climb.  It may not look crazy steep, and perhaps it wasn't but it was steep enough.
This was by far the hardest and the last climbing place we went.  This is not me but Maureen from work.  I was able to get up all the other ascents but this one I only got half way up before my hands gave out.

You can see the safety lines there, we were all roped up with crampons and ice picks.

Spikes on the feet.  I had to be conscious of them at all times so I did not catch myself and the rigid boots weighted a ton.
All of us had an amazing time and want to go back.  I know I can't really afford another hobby, and this one is quite dangerous but it was so cool.  A 3D puzzle that was mental and physical exercise.
And what a beautiful place to be.
All of us infront of those awesome snow cats.  It was incredible and I am very grateful to these soldiers for their patience and working with them to climb and belay.  I think it is rare for civilians to spend time with military personel like this and was a surprising almost emotional experience of something that I am certainly not exposed to otherwise.

No comments: