Tuesday, May 28, 2013

5-25-13 Kayak Building

After having built the frame in the fall I finally decided to make a new kayak.  Originally I was planning to make an open topped boat so I could take Sal with me but I ended up changing my mind.  Instead I based this on the F1 design from Cape Falcon.  This site has been instrumental in reading and instructional material over the years and I decided it would be interesting to try actually following a plan instead of going by instinct.
First step was to break down the original into the two gunwales.  I had to make it in my living room because of the torrential downpour and the 45 degrees outside. At least I put down plastic...
Here is the basic shape, spread and zip tied in the ends.
This step took hours.  You cut have to cut compound angles and carve the mastik (the crossbeam right in front of the cockpit) which takes a lot of time while comparing it against measurements.  Because beams are curves tightening it one place bugles elsewhere so lots of double checking.
The next step is laying the keel spaces so I can put the rips in while shaping the bow and the stern.
Another perspective.  You can see the greatest distance is past the midpoint towards the bow.
Adding more pieces zip tied into shape so I can try to make it all match the lines from the drawing.  It was.... awkward at best.  Again a shift one place moves another and the weight of the wood made things shift a lot.
The first ribs bent and zip-tied in place.  It is a fast process.
This is the steam building rig I made.  A 5 gallon pot of water, foil around the base and a PCV pipe with cloth over the end.  Really simple and works alright.  I imagine a good steambox would help but not this time.
Almost all ribs bent and in place.  I was trying to make sure all things were centered but it was tricky.
Here is all the ribs in place, still zip-tied but not fully secured.  This is the view from the stern.
This is from the bow.  There is still a bit of work before I can cover it but the most intense parts are are done.  I decoded to take a break and come back to make sure all pieces are aligned correctly.

No comments: