Saturday, May 4, 2013

5-4-13 Honey Hollow in Springtime

After an even longer week than the last one and a visit from the folks, a beautiful day meant I had to go out with Sal.  We drove up Honey Hollow Road and started the run/walk (I seem to have something nasty going on with my lungs so I could not run far).  
I can't express how nice it was, 73ish, no humidity, a light breeze and flowers starting to come out everywhere.
A quick search reveals them to be Carolina Spring Beauty (Clatonia caroliniana).
Some areas where more vibrant than others, the pink coming out more strongly   It makes me wonder if there is something in the soil there or if it is the genetics of those specific plants.  There was one section where these flowers turned the hill into a pale pink carpet.  Just stunning.
This, of course, is Red Trillium (Trillium erectum).  There were not a lot of these but what was there seemed so refined and all pointed to the ground instead of up at the sun.
Sal had some energy to get out (he is passed out on the couch as I type this).
There was a woodpecker that went to town on this tree.  The top looked like it was trying to bud but so much damage probably means it is dead.  Although if there were enough bugs to deserve such a treatment I am sure it was not in great shape anyways.
Camel's Hump peaking through the side of a hill.  This is probably the last time for the summer I will be able to see it from this trail as the trees will fill in.
Sal and I took a detour off trail up a steep ridge.  The top was not bald so no clear views but the far mountains should be Mount Mansfield if I had my bearings right.  The detour was a hard one, there were tons of downed trees and Sal and I were scrambling up, down and and underneath to get to the top of the ridge.  It was close to vertical in parts.  My legs were bleeding from some decent scratches by the end but it was a lot of fun and well worth it.
Found this pile of feathers.  I am guessing a turkey moulted?  There were no bones from a kill.
Someone did a cute little pile of rocks on the side of the road.  Sal, as always, trying to get into the shot.
Oddly when I looked at the photo afterward I could not see it but a wild turkey crossed the road on my way down.  It was maybe 20 feet into the woods to the right and it put Sal into quite a state.  Still, the photo shows nothing.

What a great way to spend a day.

No comments: