Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Belize Zoo and the Blue Hole National Park

When I was in Burlington exchanging a pair trail running shoes the cashier at Outdoor Gear Exchange had just returned from a trip to Belize. He recommended the Belize Zoo and today I decided to do just that.

The Belize Zoo was originally started as an animal rescue and then grew from there. Today it serves to promote the importance of saving local wildlife and habitat. It was also mostly populated by American tourist groups. I went wherever they were not. The first cage I went to was the Red-lored and White-fronted Parrots. It looked empty but this huge bird dive bombed the cage inches from my face.
We spent a little time staring at each other and making odd noises back and forth. Once we had cleared the air he seemed content to climb and squawk at me if I tried to go away.
The next bird was equally inquisitive. This was a Toucan, and like the parrot it was happy to get as close to me as possible.
And closer.
Then I met the Collared Aracari Toucan, who was so friendly it was startling. Again, inches from my face.
Or maybe it was that he thought I looked tasty.
I saw a huge bird of prey, called an Ornate Hawk Eagle, which seems to be bragging a bit. The I ran across the Ocelot. Maybe 3 feet long and not very high, but just seemed to glide across the forest floor.
Next stop was the Puma, there were two cages and the two Pumas were pacing up and down the shared wall.
There was an excitable River Otter, who wanted to do a staring contest with me (I won). Then a Black Panther, just chilling in the shade. Actually most of the big cats where pretty mellow in this heat.
The Coutimundi cage had both the regular and two albino ones. This guy was nose deep in the ground and quite happy about it.
In case you felt your life was incomplete without crocodiles they had those too, bot the American and the Morelet variety. This guy was just waiting for his opportunity.
A very curious Great Grison was in the next cage. Again so friendly it was like be would not have minded coming home with me (note: there are armed guards there, do not attempt).
Next came the Paya (I think) it looked to be about the size of a house cat but a nearby tour guide said that they are very viscous and are double jointed in the paws to they can climb down trees as well as up.
Next in line, the Jaburi Stork. All 6 feet of him. He just stood there looking at me disdainfully, if he could speak I imagine it would have to be in an English accent.
Harp Eagles were impressively large, the sign explained that despite popular belief there are no reports of them taking babies away. They guys were the size of osprey in Vermont and a huge wingspans.
Jaguar...mundi was the next one, a small brown cat with a quiet way about him.
The last one I will talk about is the jaguar. They were feeding him a mid day snack and I got to take some pictures from inches away. He looked at me a couple time I think hoping I had food but alas.
Amazing creature.
There were Tapirs and monkey and deer and wild pigs as well but it was hard to get good pictures of them. Okay, so after all of that I then went to the Blue Hole National Park off of hummingbird highway. There is both the Blue Hole, a collapsed cave which now is a pool of water 25 feet deep, and then there is St. Herman cave where Mayan priests in training would go. There was a decent hike in but the cave was amazing.
I was the only one there, so I got the cave to myself. This is the view back out, I had brought my own flashlight so I could go in 200 yards but after that I would need a guide. It comes out on the far side, a through and through.
I went as far as I could go, turned off the flashlight and just listened. It was a wonderful experience.
Then I hike up and down many hills to get to the other mouth of St. Herman's cave. there also was Crystal Cave, where you can only go in with permission. It was a sharp dropped.
Finally rounded up to the top of the ridge to climb a sketchy firepower to take a wonderful panorama. One of the steps may have cracked in half when I stepped on it.
Finally went to the actual Blue Hole. Actually I was really beat at that point so I went to the other side where no one was and there were fish and dangled my feet.
The steps out and my final return home for more water and a badly needed shower.

No comments: