Sunday, May 5, 2013

5-5-13 Niquette Bay Walk and First Kayak Trip of the Year

I haven't been feeling particularly well so my Sunday was more low key than original planned.  Still, I took Sal for a walk around Niquette Bay. 
He we quite grateful for the excursion.
The Great White Trillium, trillium grandiflorum, in bloom.
Presenting a not-snow-covered Mount Mansfield.
The view North West across Lake Champlain to New York.
They had this handy display at the park entrance, all the wildflowers for around here.  Useful I am sure.

This was also the first kayak trip of the year.  The water was still 50 degrees but I could not resist.  It was 70ish and sunny so I took to the water.
Shelburne Bay, boats already at their mooring.
Down LePlatte, a turtle sunning itself placidly.  It pulled of a haughty attitude well enough as I drifted by.
And the egrets were already hunting in the reeds.
Feet up, relaxed.
Beavers that moved in last year have built a home.  Did not see them stirring though.
A woodpecker chewing away at a log.  I was within 10 feet and he did not seem to mind.
Everything was starting to bloom, a brilliant first kayak of the year.


No comments: