Sunday, July 14, 2013

7-13-13 Mount Mansfield

I have been waiting to do a summit again, waiting for the trails to dry at least a little after all the rain.  Finally the opportunity came on an early Saturday morning
The beginning of the ascent up Mount Mansfield.  I have been recovering from this nasty cough that has stuck with me for three weeks and it slowed me quite a bit.
It was so lush in the undergrowth, Sal was having a blast.
Getting up there.  Looking south along the ridgeline and Bolton.
A cairn and a view of Mount Mansfield.  It was perfect weather and few people on the trail.
While I did not hike all the way across the ridge to the northern summit I did stop at the Nose to take pictures before turning back.  There were some people up there, mostly those that drove up (yes, you can do that after all)
Looking West to Lake Champlain.  New York was a bit hazed in.
And looking North to the summit.  I was glad to turn and descend.  The rock climbing the day before had kicked my as a bit, as was the
From what I could find this looks to be Bunchberry, Cornus Canadesis.  Learn a new thing every day.
The descent with Sal.  It killed my knees for some reason.  I haven't been exercising for almost a month because of this cough and the rain and it seemed to catch up to me here.  Still, a great day and a good hike.  2 hours up, 1 hour and 45 minutes down.

No comments: