Sunday, October 14, 2012

10-13-12 to 10-14 Overnight at Skyline

For the first overnight trip of fall/winter I ended up with a friend and his dog climbing to the Skyline Lodge on the Long Trail near Middlebury.  It was a beautiful 55 degree day but all forecasts indicated at the most a 30 degree night and heavy wind, rain and sleet on Sunday.
 The beginning.
 There was a cool little bridge in the beginning and for the most part the trail wasn't very steep.  My pack weighted in at 35 lbs so not too bad.
 There were a lot of people doing day hikes, many passed me on the way up, a couple were surprised that I was planing an overnight.
 Dry, warm and loaded with the pack.
 This blaze is always indicates a steep incline and switchbacks.  Vermont is filled with both.
 There was snow on the ground and the temperature dropped noticeably as I got close to the ridge line 
 The shelter, or lodge (it did have walls on all four sides after all) was right across the Long Trail.  To the south was a short jaunt to an amazing lookout.
 This shot can't really show just how expansive the view felt.
Breadloaf Mountain to the North.  Sadly this was the end to my photos, I thought I had more but I deleted them by mistake.  The lodge was very nice, it overlooks a small pond which in turn overlooks the Presidential Range and that day we could even see them.

By the time nigh fell at 6:11 there were five of us and two dogs.  We ate, played poker to pass some of the darkness and retired by 8:30.  The temp dropped to at least 30 degrees and in the pitch black a heavy storm came in unleashing rain then sleet, then more rain for the whole night.

My gear stood up alright but not great, even fully clothed in my mummy bag I was not comfortable and I struggled to keep Sal covered and warm through the night.  13 hours and only a couple hours of sleep later the dawn revealed a drizzling ice covered terrain.  I ended up heading out early, moving quickly down through the now ice cold puddle filled trails down to the car.

All in all it was a good learning experience and a safe introduction to what it means to hike overnight in colder weather.  It was intense but tonight I am glad for central heat, a comfortable bed and the promise of a warm shower in the morning.

No comments: