Monday, October 8, 2012

9-6-12 Kayaking McNeil Cove and Converse Bay

I decided to try a different bar on Lake Champlain than my normal so I went south to McNeil Bay where the Essex-Charlotte Ferry lands.  It looked beautiful going down but little did I know there were going to be southern winds about 15 knots or so.
 There is this awesome point called Cedar Beach, the cliffs go up maybe 30 feet and there were houses on top.  Around this point was Converse Bay, which was wide open to the winds and had 1-2 foots waves.  I was having a ball, although decided not to shoot across the bay and instead turned around.
 The visible layers of rock were fascinating.  I am sure they have a long story to tell.
 You could tell the water usually covered the base, the Lake was at a record low, so much so that what was normally an small island at one spot was just a peninsula.

As I headed back I saw the encroaching weather.  I got out and loaded the car just as the storm hit.  Good thing I was smart and turned around when I did.

No comments: