Monday, October 8, 2012

9-16-12 Sand Bar State Park Outlet

Sand Bar State Park wasn't exactly where I was.  There is a river a little south of it that flows out to Lake Champlain that is all protected waters and grounds.  It was a solid paddle to get out of the river into the lake but the view was stunning.
 The water was so shallow due to the dry summer that everywhere it was only inches deep.
 At one point I kept running aground in 2 inches of water so even though I was a 100 feet from the actually shore I got out and walked my kayak over the sandbar.  It was amazing.
In the water everywhere were freshwater mussels.  I don't think these are Zebra Mussels (again invasive species) but you could see the trails in the sandy bottom where they had dragged themselves along.
Some were truly huge.  I reach over the edge and plucked this from the bottom.  I also saw an Adirondack guide boat out cruising the water, such beautiful crafts.

No comments: