Monday, October 8, 2012

9-9-12 Hiking Mount Mansfield

For the first time in a while I decided to climb Mount Mansfield.  It is the tallest in Vermont and while one side is a huge ski resort the other is fairly peaceful.
 I took the southern approach and it wasn't long until I was at the bare spine that climbs to the southern most peak of Mount Mansfield.  This is looking north.
 There is a lot of rock scrabbling and Sal was having a blast.
 It was cold at the top, I brought layers and a warm hat because I knew that it would be windy.  Still, it was colder than I expected and I turned back from walking the entire ridge knowing how cold I would get.
 Outside of the Ski Resort there are also huge antennas for all sorts of thing.  Again, tallest point in Vermont and all of that.
 The clouds were low but still one hell of a view.  This is south towards Camel's Hump I believe
 The woods at the top are protected as this little alcove showed its pristine state.  Sal remained on a leash for this bit and we worked together with solid vocal commands so he didn't pull me over sharp rocks.
At the end one tired puppy and a happy hiker.  It is good to go to the roof occasionally.

No comments: